What Are Warts?
Warts are caused by human papillomavirus (HPV). They are contagious and can be spread through direct contact with HPV; there are more than 60 kinds of HPV, some of which lead to warts on the skin. The types that cause these benign skin warts do not cause cancer. HPV stimulates the quick growth of cells on the skin’s outer layer. In most cases, they can appear on the fingers, hands, feet, and toes (but they can really crop up anywhere).
What Are the Different Types of Warts?
There are a few variants, each determined by where they grow on the body and their appearance. The following describes the visible signs and symptoms of the different types.
Common types tend to:
- Grow on the fingers, near the nails, and on the backside of the hands.
- Show up where the skin had been broken, such as from fingernail biting or hangnail picking.
- Feel like rough bumps on the skin
Foot – Plantar
Plantar types sometimes:
- Grow on the soles (plantar surface) of the feet
- Grow in clusters
- Be flat or grow inward (walking creates pressure, which causes warts to grow inward)
- Hurt when you walk, as if you have pebbles in your shoe
Flat types tend to:
- Occur anywhere, often seen on hands, faces, arms, and legs.
- Be smaller and smoother than other types
- Grow in large numbers (20 to 100 at a time)
Genital types are:
- Caused by different strains of HPV than other warts
- Are spread through sexual contact of all kinds, including oral sex
- Range in size from small bumps to larger and more cauliflower-shaped
How Are Warts Treated?
There are many ways in which Dr. Wechsler this condition. Some treatment options include in-office wart removal and prescription cream that can be applied at home.
Wart Removal in NYC
We treat a full range of skin conditions and address your overall well-being. If you have warts and would like to see them go, Dr. Amy Wechsler offers safe, efficacious treatment options for you. To schedule a consultation, contact us at 212-396-2500, email us at email@example.com, or request an appointment online.